Saturday, November 23, 2013

From Mom:


Mother’s Day, Bishopric message May 8, 1977
By Gail S. Halvorsen, bishop

The thought expressed by Theodore Curtis that, “Motherhood is the noblest peak in the mountain range of character,” often reminds me of my Boy Scout days and one particular scout trip that was not in the mountains. It was a jamboree on the big lawn just north of the Hotel Utah (1933) and a long way from our home in Rigby, Idaho.
For several months Mother had been putting small change away for a pair of new shoes. The shoes were set aside at the local store until she could save enough money to pay cash. I remember her keen anticipation as her savings grew to almost three dollars.
She reached the three dollar goal the same week the scout master rode by on his horse to tell the folks about the jamboree in Salt Lake. I had already told him and the troop I couldn’t go. My time was completely taken helping Dad on the farm and there was just no money available for special or regular jobs during those difficult times. Mom knew how much that trip meant to me and signaled Dad to reassure the scout master that I could go. After he left I asked Dad where the money could come from and all he said was, “Don’t worry.”
The next day as I hurried off with the troop Mom pressed a small manila envelope into my hand. I will never forget that trip because when I got back home Mom still had on her old shoes, but a special light shone in her eyes. I am sure that light was there when I was born, and I saw it each time after that when she gave of her time and strength to do something special that made us happy, and it was also there when we did things to make her proud of our actions. I can only describe it as an expression of complete joy. It had the brightness of a piece of the star that shone over Bethlehem on the special night the Savior was born.
We warmly exchanged greetings and then I fully realized that my trip had taken the place of Mom’s new shoes. I had wondered where the three dollars for the trip had come from, but my selfishness kept me from admitting it must have come from my mother’s shoe fund until that moment when I realized she was still in her old shoes.
I have seen that light shine for similar reasons from the eyes of the wonderful mother of our children and from the eyes of mothers of this ward.
Let us as husbands, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters so live that our example will more often cause this special mothers’ light to shine because of our good works, and thereby express our gratitude to her for our very presence on this planet earth and the key part she plays in the Lord’s eternal plan.
That we may do this as members of the Oak Hills First Ward in Zion, not only at this time but throughout the year, for those mothers present and those beyond the veil I pray in the name of our Lord and Savior, Amen.

Gail S. Halvorsen
Bishop

No comments:

Post a Comment